July 29, 2010
A lot of people think they don’t need to see a chiropractor unless they already have pain in their back and/or neck, but the truth is that going to a chiropractor can help detect conditions that may exist before you feel them – much like a dentist detects a cavity before you feel it.
The condition we look for, subluxation, degrades body function over time with very few symptoms. It’s hard to detect and correct without professional training, which is why everyone – even chiropractors – need regular exams and adjustments.
So who is chiropractic care for? Although most people think it’s for those with a back problem, stress related problem or other health problem, it is also good for anyone looking to progress their health, happiness and improve their productivity. Positive side effects include better energy, better elimination, better digestion, more energy and better sleep.
Want more information about how chiropractic care might help you? Call us at 408-979-9999.
July 22, 2010
We recommend all our patients take supplements to provide their bodies with the nutrients it needs to repair itself. Although there are specific lab tests you can run for deficiencies of certain vitamins, most of us need these supplements for two reasons:
- We don’t eat enough fruit and veggies that are organic and local (11-13 servings per day).
- The amount of nutrition in our food is rapidly declining (you would need to eat 53 peaches today to get the same amount of vitamin c that was present in one peach in the 1950s).
Although the nutritional supplements world is confusing for most people, there are a few important things to know:
- Not all supplements are created equally.
- You should still eat organic and local fruit and veggies, even if you take supplements.
- Consistency is important (as with anything, sporadic usage won’t give you the same results that regularity will).
To gauge how effective and complete a supplement is and make sure we provide our clients with solid advice regarding supplements, we use a guide called The Nutrisearch Comparative Guide for Supplementation. This private company has researched and compared over 1500 multivitamins and analyzed them to measure:
- How well it supports bone health, eye health, cardiovascular health, etc.
Each supplement is rated from 0 stars to 5 stars. We carry the Creating Wellness/Purpose Nutrition brand in our office as it’s one of only 3 brands that carry the 5 star rating.
For more information about supplements call (408) 979-9999.
July 20, 2010
I’ll admit it, I love to drive with my music loud. Now, I try to be mindful that everyone does not want to hear what I am listening to, so my favorite thing about summer is that I can drive around with the windows all up, air conditioning on, and SING at the top of my lungs! I don’t even care that people see me being silly, singing loudly and unapologetic!
What I found, is that for me music is an energy enhancer! I love groovin’ out on my way to the office to serve, it gives me energy and gets me in a great mood!
What is your best energy enhancer? Do you listen to music? Does exercise do it for you?
July 15, 2010
When clients come in for an adjustment, we have them warm up and stretch their muscles, ligaments, and disc with two handy tools – the Wobble Chair and the Repetitive Cervical Traction.
How do these tools help?
The Wobble Chair:
The Wobble Chair is a patented, specially-designed seat that rotates 360°, flexes 40° side to side and flexes 35° front to back on a universal type joint. These movements facilitate lumbar disc mobility, re-hydration, nutrition delivery and waste elimination.
Benefits of the Wobble Chair:
- Strengthens your lumbar discs.
- Strengthens your ligaments and tendons.
- Facilitates nutrition of your discs and elimination of waste products.
- Increases motion in your lumbar spine.
- Increases proprioception from the lumbar spine to brain (helps them talk to each other better, thereby reducing risk of injury).
Repetitive Cervical Traction:
The patented Repetitive Cervical Traction provides similar movement to the neck as the Wobble Chair does the back.
Benefits of the Repetitive Cervical Traction:
- Helps with cartilage growth.
- Decreases healing time.
- Restores perfect disc function.
- Improves cervical and lumbar curves.
- Rehydrates thin discs.
- Reduces discomfort in the neck, arm, mid and low back.
To learn more about these tools, ask us at your next adjustment, or call us at 408-979-9999.
July 13, 2010
We know we need to wear seatbelts because it’s the law here in California, but this video was so beautiful that I still thought we should share it. Our lives are truly so precious and such a gift that can be easily taken from us.
We talk about interference of the body’s optimal functioning being the cause of so much sickness, disease and death. Not wearing a seatbelt is an example of how you could have a MASSIVE interference to your life force.Watch, enjoy and grab a tissue…
What other high risk activities do you participate in that may be increasing your risk for interference of some kind?
July 8, 2010
One way we help our clients release tension at home is through offering decompression tips to incorporate into their daily schedules.
To make sure we’re all on the same page, decompressing means releasing the tension on your central nervous system. This helps ensure your nervous system is working optimally.
Here are three ways you can decompress, or release tension, at home, work or wherever you may be:
- Walk for 10 minutes. The 50:10 rule works well – especially for those that sit at a desk allday. For every 50 minutes of sitting, get up and move for the next 10 minutes. Walk, stretch or drink a glass of water – then get back to your project.
Breathe deeply.It’s common for stressed people to take shallow breaths, so practice breathing deeply – 5 counts in and 5 counts out. Slowing down and paying attention to every breath forces our nervous system into a relaxed state.
- Laugh. Laughing increases oxygenation to our entire body – there is even research that suggests it activates parts of our immune system as well! Hang out with people who make you laugh, rent some funny movies and laugh out loud!
July 8, 2010
Nature Needs No Help, Just No Interference. This statement is a very relevant statement regarding the environment and your health. Let’s begin with the environment.
The beautiful Gulf of Mexico was in a state of homeostasis, harmony and balance before this horrible oil leak, interference, wreaked havoc on the system. What needs to be done to solve the problem? You have to stop the leak. It would not be enough to merely skim off the beaches, which in this case must be done. You have to remove the cause, the interference. When does nature need help? When there is interference.
Sudden, massive interference is the kind that is so severe that it causes immediate damage. We see this happening now in the Gulf of Mexico as the oil overtakes the region, causing such an immediate and severe disruption to the harmony and balance of the system that it has become instantly sick and will stay that way for decades.
Sadly it may never be the same and it has created a wake up call that requires massive action. This is like a heart attack, stroke or diagnosis of cancer. Are you or your loved ones waiting for this wake up call?
It is absurd to think that the answer for this oil crisis would be to merely lay new sand on the dirty beach while the oil keeps leaking and ignore the cause. Do not treat your health like this.
You were born to be healthy and express your full potential from the time you were born through your last breath of life. If you keep your body and mind free from interference, subluxation free, and at the same time nourish it, keep it fit, and keep your nervous system functioning without interference, health will be your natural state. You deserve it.
*Courtesy of The 100 Year Lifestyle
July 7, 2010
Summer is such a great time to travel! Often, traveling can get us run down and take a toll on our health, no matter how much fun we intend to have.
These 5 tips will help you make the most out of your vacation and not come back feeling like you need ANOTHER vacation!
I love the tips except for the part about the sleep medication- you can always try something natural like melatonin instead. You will have fewer side effects and feel better for it!
July 1, 2010
Doctor literally means teacher in Latin and we take that part of our work seriously. We are so excited to announce that we have 5 Healthy Living Workshops that we can come to your group, business or even a group of your friends around a dinner table, and teach!
I know you don’t want to be bored for 60 minutes and neither do we! That’s why are workshops are planned to be interactive, fun and also give you cutting edge information!
1. Eat THIS and THAT
2. Living a 100 Year Lifestyle
3. Is It Stress That’s Killing You? (Or Just Your Lifestyle?)
4. Are Your Headaches Just A Pain In Your Neck or All In Your Head?
5. Women’s Wellness Workshop
There is no charge to have us come and speak and we are pleased to speak to groups of any size!
Please contact Cate at 408-979-9999 to get us scheduled!
July 1, 2010
Now that the weather’s completely warm and summer is full swing with activities like tennis, soccer, hiking, swimming, etc, we thought you might appreciate a few stretches to keep your body safe and loose all summer:
- Quads - Grab one ankle and pull your heel to your buttock. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat with the other leg.
- Hamstrings - While standing, bend over at the waist and try to touch your toes while keeping your legs straight. Reach as far as you can and hold for 30 seconds.
- Pecs - While standing in a doorway, put your hands/forearms on the doorframe and allow your chest to be stretched as you lean forward.
- Calves - Stand near a curb and place one ball of the foot on the curb. Hold for 30 seconds and repeat with the other leg.
- Neck - Tilt you head to one side and place hand on top of the head. Gently increase pressure with your hand. Repeat on the other side.
A few things to keep in mind when stretching:
- Recent research suggests it is more important to stretch after a workout when muscles are warm rather than before exercise when they are cold.
- Do not bounce when you are stretching- hold for 30 seconds at 80 percent pressure and repeat.
- If you have a partner, stretch with a little resistance. Have your partner hold your stretch then as you are returning to neutral posture have your partner resist so the muscle is working then stretch again. This will help you achieve a deeper stretch.
Now go have fun enjoying the sun!