Reach for tasty (and healthy) snacks!
November 17, 2011
Snack food has gotten a bad reputation over the years – often for good reason. Most of the items sold as “snacks” are processed foods loaded with sugar and chemicals, guaranteed to lead to an energy crash. But there are plenty of healthy options out there to help you get through your day with steady energy and in top shape. Here are a few we like:
• Fresh fruit – and veggies too! Nature couldn’t make it simpler – grab an apple or a few carrots and you’ve got a portable, nutritious snack. The fiber will keep you feeling full and you’ll get sustained energy, not just a quick spike.
• Nuts and seeds. Nuts are a great source of protein, vitamin E and heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. They can be high in fat and calories, however, so eat nuts in moderation.
• Granola bars. Not all bars are created equal – it’s easy to sneak in a ton of added sugar, so be sure to read labels carefully. Look for bars that are created with whole (and wholesome) ingredients, like Kind’s Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew.
• Crackers. Sometimes you just want that salty crunch. Instead of reaching for a bag of chips or a box of crackers that’s loaded with trans-fats, try a healthier option, like Kashi’s TLC Original 7-Grain crackers.
• Sparkling juice. Instead of drinking soda pop (even diet), do your body a favor and make your own sparkling juice instead. Cut 100% fruit juice with club soda for a tasty, refreshing drink. You’ll get the benefits of fruit juice with fewer calories.